The Essential Guide to Hiking with Dogs: Trail-Tested Tips and Expert Advice for Canine Adventures
by Jen Sotolongo, 2021. Paperback, 208 pages.
With The Essential Guide to Hiking with Dogs, you and your four-legged friend can be ready for anything the wilderness might throw at you. Set yourselves and others up for the very best hiking experience. Need-to-know topics are covered for the novice hiker or new owner, from trail etiquette to leave no trace ethics, important gear and packing guides to essential commands you should train on the trail. Featuring beautiful and illustrative photography, this must-have guide will inform and inspire any adventure dog and their parents.
Inside you’ll find:
- Tips for minimizing impact on the trail and practicing dog hiking etiquette.
- Trip planning advice and gear and packing lists.
- Multi-sport information including camping, backpacking, mountain biking, and paddle boarding with your dog.
- Leave No Trace principles, and health and safety tips
- A selection of dog-friendly hikes across the U.S.
About the Author
Jen Sotolongo is a writer, content creator, and dog mom from the Pacific Northwest. She runs the popular adventure dog blog Long Haul Trekkers, which features tips for hiking and camping, trip reports, and favorite outdoor travels with dogs around the world. Jen lives in Bend, Oregon.